Rudyard Kipling"
āWhen you're left wounded on Afganistan's plains and
the women come out to cut up what remains, Just roll to your rifle
and blow out your brains,
And go to your God like a soldierā
General Douglas MacArthur"
āWe are not retreating. We are advancing in another direction.ā
āIt is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it.ā āOld soldiers never die; they just fade away.
āThe soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and be the deepest wounds and scars of war.ā
āMay God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't .ā āThe object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
āNobody ever defended, there is only attack and attack and attack some more.
āIt is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
The Soldier stood and faced God
Which must always come to pass
He hoped his shoes were shining
Just as bright as his brass
"Step forward you Soldier,
How shall I deal with you?
Have you always turned the other cheek?
To My Church have you been true?"
"No, Lord, I guess I ain't
Because those of us who carry guns
Can't always be a saint."
I've had to work on Sundays
And at times my talk was tough,
And sometimes I've been violent,
Because the world is awfully rough.
But, I never took a penny
That wasn't mine to keep.
Though I worked a lot of overtime
When the bills got just too steep,
The Soldier squared his shoulders and said
And I never passed a cry for help
Though at times I shook with fear,
And sometimes, God forgive me,
I've wept unmanly tears.
I know I don't deserve a place
Among the people here.
They never wanted me around
Except to calm their fears.
If you've a place for me here,
Lord, It needn't be so grand,
I never expected or had too much,
But if you don't, I'll understand."
There was silence all around the throne
Where the saints had often trod
As the Soldier waited quietly,
For the judgment of his God.
"Step forward now, you Soldier,
You've borne your burden well.
Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets,
You've done your time in Hell."
The reason why the Rohingya are here is that successive regimes and political operatives from the opposition advocated for their place and welfare in Malaysian society.
When these āforeignersā become successful and start gaining economic relevance at the expense of the majority, they suddenly become a threat.
Working-class Malays, already handicapped by interventionist state policies, which supposedly protect their rights and privileges, have to contend with various migrant communities for a slice of the pie.
The fact that the plight of the Rohingyas is championed by the bourgeois class and looked on with scepticism or outright hostility by the working class for years was overlooked by the mainstream Malay political establishment.
Social media opprobrium for the Rohingya always includes elements of how well they are organised, and commentary revolves around the politicians and how they are somehow connected to the āproblemā.
Keep in mind that refugees, migrant workers, and āillegalsā do the jobs that locals do not want to do, and they only become an issue during times of economic and political uncertainty.
Most workers people think of as āillegalā merely want to make a living and send money back home, but because of the politics of the situation, there are issues involved which affect the social dynamic of locals.
Grain of truth
I know folks do not want to hear this, but if you think that we have extreme religious ideas here, you have no clue of the extreme ideas that could be (and have been) injected into the religious discourse by elements moving in migrant communities.
This idea that the Rohingya are fleeing from oppression is much more complex than the narratives of most activists and state-sponsored hacks.
As reported by Al Jazeera, there is a flourishing trade in brides - some even child brides - by Malaysian-based Rohingya men who cannot find local women to marry.
There has been no discussion or accountability of the millions of dollars of aid from Muslim countries and Western organisations for the benefit of the Rohingya community.
Neither has there been accountability for the numerous Rohingya organisations that claim to advocate for the community but have been assimilated into various Muslim advocacy groups in the country and used when needed to make a religious show of force.
Jumping on the bandwagon
Politicians of every ethnicity have attempted to gain brownie points from this issue.
MCA young women's wing chief Ivone Low got some folksā knickers in a twist when she commented on the thug-like behaviour of ārefugee childrenā in a series of online video clips.
In response, Pengerang MP Azalina Othman Said said children should not be blamed when āthe countryā failed to protect them.
The ācountryā did not fail to protect them. The political apparatus of this country failed to protect them, as it has failed with a great many issues.
It really does not matter if it is BN, Perikatan Nasional, or Pakatan Harapan. Each, at one time, most likely when out of government, has used refugees, especially Muslim refugees, as pawns in an effort to discredit the ruling party or attempt to show how the support of refugees translates to supporting the Malay polity.
All this is not only hypocritical but also mendacious, as both attempt to portray the situation as a religious one - when it comes to Muslim refugees - as opposed to economic or political ones.
And this has always been an economic issue. Remember the hostility then human resources minister M Kulasegaran received when he reminded the Harapan government of its campaign pledge to allow refugees to work?
I still have not forgotten when former prime minister Najib Abdul Razak and PAS president Abdul Hadi Awang had that big rally in support of the Rohingya.
Sekretariat Umat chairperson Aminuddin Yahaya, too, had urged Buddhist monks in Malaysia to state their stand on a demonstration held by their counterparts in Myanmar against Najibās alleged interference in the Rohingya issue, and whether ākillings of innocent peopleā also go against the teachings of Buddha.
This is one of the major economic issues dominating mainstream Malay politics. This is why there has been a sudden spurt of raids against migrants and the underground economy, which has thrived for years.
This major issue, more than Najibās pardon, will determine which coalition forms the government; who plays the blame game better will be the deciding factor.