Rudyard Kipling"
“When you're left wounded on Afganistan's plains and
the women come out to cut up what remains, Just roll to your rifle
and blow out your brains,
And go to your God like a soldier”
General Douglas MacArthur"
“We are not retreating. We are advancing in another direction.”
“It is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it.” “Old soldiers never die; they just fade away.
“The soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and be the deepest wounds and scars of war.”
“May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't .” “The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
“Nobody ever defended, there is only attack and attack and attack some more.
“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.
The Soldier stood and faced God
Which must always come to pass
He hoped his shoes were shining
Just as bright as his brass
"Step forward you Soldier,
How shall I deal with you?
Have you always turned the other cheek?
To My Church have you been true?"
"No, Lord, I guess I ain't
Because those of us who carry guns
Can't always be a saint."
I've had to work on Sundays
And at times my talk was tough,
And sometimes I've been violent,
Because the world is awfully rough.
But, I never took a penny
That wasn't mine to keep.
Though I worked a lot of overtime
When the bills got just too steep,
The Soldier squared his shoulders and said
And I never passed a cry for help
Though at times I shook with fear,
And sometimes, God forgive me,
I've wept unmanly tears.
I know I don't deserve a place
Among the people here.
They never wanted me around
Except to calm their fears.
If you've a place for me here,
Lord, It needn't be so grand,
I never expected or had too much,
But if you don't, I'll understand."
There was silence all around the throne
Where the saints had often trod
As the Soldier waited quietly,
For the judgment of his God.
"Step forward now, you Soldier,
You've borne your burden well.
Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets,
You've done your time in Hell."
Jamil Khir Baharom and Tabung Haji: Clueless or incompetent? By Mariam Mokhtar
Friday, September 11, 2026
Malaysiakini : The RCI said the religious affairs ministers relied entirely on recommendations from management and the board on fund management and investments. In other words, there was little or no independent scrutiny by the minister.
It also found that the law gave the minister broad powers over Tabung Haji's operations, funds, and investments.
Nobody expects a religious affairs minister to be a financial expert. But surely he must ask: How much money are we committing? What are the risks? Has proper due diligence been done?
And if something goes wrong, who is accountable?
A minister cannot know everything, but overseeing an institution means asking the right questions. Otherwise, what exactly is ministerial responsibility?
Old controversies raise fresh questions
Unsurprisingly, this is not the first controversy involving Jamil.
In 2011, there was controversy over the use of zakat funds for legal costs involving him and religious officials. Jamil denied that zakat money had been used, while reports said the money had initially come from a zakat account before being replaced with government funds.
In 2015, allegations emerged over Islamic Economic Development Foundation (Yapeim)-linked funds and a US trip involving shopping and golf. Jamil denied wrongdoing and sued the NGO chief who made the allegations.
The controversy was serious enough for Jamil to announce a task force to examine Yapeim's governance.
None of this proves that Jamil committed a crime. But it is part of the public record.
Malaysians have long memories, even if politicians sometimes hope they don't. For years, controversies have surfaced. Denials have followed. Investigations have come and gone. More importantly, accountability has often seemed to disappear somewhere along the way.
Now that the Tabung Haji case has moved to the prosecution stage, we hope the justice system will shed light on what transpired in the management of the pilgrim fund.
We must not confuse suspicion with proof. But neither should we pretend public suspicion comes from nowhere.
When people repeatedly see powerful politicians escape consequences, they lose faith in the system. That may be the greatest damage of all.
Ministerial responsibility cannot be ignored
The RCI also found that political involvement affected certain Tabung Haji decisions between 2014 and 2018, including profit distribution, haj charges, and financial support.
It recommended major governance changes, including separating responsibility for haj management from financial and investment management.
So perhaps the biggest question is not: Did Jamil personally make a bad decision? It is: Did he do enough as the minister responsible?
Those are two very different questions.
A minister may not personally commit wrongdoing. But political responsibility does not disappear simply because a minister says: “I relied on the board.” Or, “I relied on officials.” Or, “I did not know.”
Ministerial office brings power. It brings authority. It must also bring accountability, especially when things go wrong. And this applies to every minister.
Every political party should demand accountability from its own people, not just its opponents, because protecting political friends is not governance. Demanding accountability is.
The rakyat should expect more. Much more.
Ultimately, the question is not only whether a minister broke the law. It is whether he did the job the rakyat entrusted him to do.
If ministers are not accountable for what happens under their watch, what exactly are they responsible for?